Monday, September 23, 2013

Source 4: Beauty Queens Behaving Badly


LIEU, NHI T. "Beauty Queens Behaving Badly." Frontiers: A Journal Of Women Studies 34.1 (2013): 25-57. Literary Reference Center. Web. 17 Sept. 2013.

2.) Ah, this is bad... the reason I chose this article was because it was written by a vietnamese person. Go figure. I felt that I could relate to a lot of what the author was talking about when it came down to Vietnamese beauty pageants. More than once, I've been a spectacle to those but I've always been mean about it. I like how Lieu talks about the symbolic and cultural aspect of pageants, rather than just the huge amounts of hype and glamour all night long. It went into a lot about how the vietnamese pageants were very "shallow" to say, organizing women simply by looks alone within a community.
3.) "reveals fractures in class divisions..." p. 27
'beauty pageants are the coming of age?"

4.) one of the biggest highlights of the article is when Lieu talks about self freedom. Well, mostly freedom of gender especially for women. Cliched as it may be and cured as pageants can be (women strutting around?) I think she has a point. It could be that society pushes women to be all that, and that's the birth of beauty pageants. Or at least, that's why anyone would want to join one. So this article might've changed my mind just a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment