Monday, September 23, 2013

Source 1: The Miss America Pageant: Pluralism, Femininity, And Cinderella All In One.


1.)Watson, E, and D Martin. "The Miss America Pageant: Pluralism, Femininity, And Cinderella All In One." Journal Of Popular Culture 34.1 (2000): 105-126. MEDLINE. Web. 17 Sept. 2013.

2.) What Strikes Me Most: One of the things I liked about this article in particular was it's attention to the history of Miss America. It discussed a lot of the trends but also events during the first few years of the pageant in an interesting life. Throughout the article, the authors go on to talk about how each historical event (like WWI) came to affect and shape the pageant into something people want to watch and wanted to be on (for example the requirement of a platform in which the contestant will promote whether it is in education, aiding in poverty prevention, etc).

3.) Sources:
"Throughout history, the pageant has been the center of controversy and target of protests against the swim suit..." p 114
"Cinderella mythology" p.7

4.) Looking back over my notes, I don't see anything I would have not noticed. For the most part, the article was too long to go over the entire thing and most quotes I tossed out in favor of the few I know would go well in my paper. Indeed, the authors do seem very knowledgeable on their research since it's so long. There's actually more historical fact than there are opinions form the writers, so I'm guesing it's trying to be unbiased as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment