Monday, October 14, 2013

Source 7: First Miss America of Indian descent embraces discussion on diversity


Citation:
1. Botelho, Greg. “First Miss America of Indian Descent Embraces Discussion On Diversity.” CNN. CNN, 19 September 2013. Web. 14 October 2013.
What Strikes Me Most
2. As I had mentioned earlier, I was in the search for articles and journals that was ultimately pro-pageant. I was lucky to have two major pageants happen in the past month and one of them being Miss America. It was tumultuous win for Miss New York as she is the first Indian American to have won, but got denounced by many haters for being Muslim and  Arab. Ironically, she is neither and their was a recent winner not to long ago who was actually Arab. My experience with this news was pretty limited to tidbits on facebook or youtube comments, so I actually was not aware of the bigger picture. I thought to remedy that, I went to search for articles via CNN.
What I found was that the article was very pro-pageant yet it also answered my question on whether or not pageants are good platforms to bring forth social issues and perhaps provide solutions to them.
Source Notes:
3.) "I have always viewed Miss America as the girl next door," Davuluri said. "But the girl next door is evolving, as the diversity of America evolves. She's not who she was 10 years ago, and she's not going to be the same person come 10 years down the road."
“Davuluri sees it as her mission to tackle such stereotypes head on. It's why the daughter of two Indian-born parents has a pageant platform of "celebrating diversity through cultural competence."
“And Davuluri couldn't be happier with the reality she's now living -- as a groundbreaker, and a talking point, in a country addressing its cultural diversity.”
The Source Reconsidered:
4.  Truth be told, there wasn’t much to reconsider after I looked over the source. I knew what I was getting from the beginning and I got what I needed. The source is very valuable, because some of the things Nina says gives me food for thought about what I could write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment